80% of the engineers are unemployable in India, reads that latest Aspiring Minds report!
Top product based companies like Google, Microsoft or Facebook, have a very stringent hiring policy and are looking for candidates who are efficiently skilled in the latest technology trends. This becomes quite difficult for many graduates in India due to certain drawbacks in the academic system.
- One of the major reasons why engineers still find it hard to secure lucrative jobs is because the education system in India still struggles in producing engineers who are adequately skilled in comparison to the market demand. The skill-sets imparted in these institutions do not match with the what the companies are looking for and this creates a huge discrepancy among the graduates and the hiring process.
- The outdated coursework is one of the major barriers that renders an engineers unemployable after graduation. Engineering colleges still continue to teach C++ and Java, languages that have become old since a decade ago and newer frameworks like Angular, NodeJs, MongoDB and ExpressJS have come up which have made development simpler and easier.
- Relatively less practical exposure: Colleges still fail to include a major component of practical exposure that is required in order to be job ready. Along with the theoretical knowledge, its applicability defines how competent you are in the skills you have learnt. The same way, along with the knowledge you have acquired in the college does not count for much unless you prove yourself to be productive for the companies.
- Since there is a big discrepancy in the education system, top companies resort to hiring candidates off the top premier institutes that too with a very structured filtering process.
Coming to getting hired in the top product based companies, the equation remains quite simple and straightforward too:
Learn the new technologies that are in demand + conduct projects to showcase your productivity = being eligible to apply to the product based companies and get hired.
If you have the right set of skills that are demanded in this market, then landing a job in the product based sector is only a matter of time. Since you’re looking to land a job in the product based sector, here are a few steps that you should follow to secure your switch:
- First, acquire the skills required in product based sector. Learn new technologies that are in trend and improve your soft skills to seem confident and are able to correct communicate your credentials.
- Second, conduct a project that showcases your practical execution of your knowledge. Along with the theoretical knowledge, the companies are looking to hire candidates who have taken a step ahead and showcased what they are worth. This sheds confidence in your capabilities to execute your skills.
Which career path is trending in the product based industry and what are the skills required to land a job?
One of the most lucrative career paths that you can pursue in the product based industry would be web development.
In the present date, web development has become a desirable and demanding career path as the salary and growth offered to good skilled candidates are quite favorable and rate of growth can be exponential if your skill set are in sync with the trend of the market.
- Front End Developer: In simple words, the front end developer is the face of the website or the software. From the looks to how it interacts with the user, it is handled by the front end developer.
Average Salary of a front end developer ranges between 5-7 LPA.
- Back End Developer: Back End developer primarily handles the database of the website or the software. From data representation to the core logic of the program is designed and handled by the back end developers.
Average Salary of a back end developer ranges between 6-8LPA
- Mean Stack Developer: A combination of both Front-end and Back-End development is full stack development. There has been a considerable increase in demand for good full stack developers.
Average salary ranges from 7-9 LPA.
Where can I acquire these skill sets?
Since most of the trending languages are not a part of the academic curriculum, there are several online platforms that offer certifications. A few to name and suggest are:
- Udemy: Udemy is a global marketplace for learning and teaching online where students are mastering new skills and achieving their goals by learning from an extensive library of over 45,000 courses taught by expert instructors.
Which course on Udemy is worth taking?
Following are the top Udemy courses that you can consider:
- The Complete Web Developer Course 2.0 by Rob Percival (View here)
- The Complete Unity Developer course by Ben Tristem (View here)
- Complete Java Masterclass: Learn to master Java 8 core development step-by-step(View Here)
- Complete Python Bootcamp: Go from zero to hero in Python (View Here)
- The Ultimate Hands-On Hadoop – Tame your Big Data!- (View Here)
- C Programming For Beginners, Learn C in ten easy steps on Windows, Mac OS X or Linux (View Here)
- The Complete Node.js Developer Course (2nd Edition) – (View Here)
- Microsoft Excel – Excel from Beginner to Advanced Excel (View Here)
- Learn Ethical Hacking From Scratch : Become an ethical hacker (View Here)
- Angular 4 (formerly Angular 2) – The Complete Guide Master Angular (both Angular 4 and Angular 2)- (View Here)
- Machine Learning A-Z™: Hands-On Python & R In Data Science-Learn to create Machine Learning Algorithms (View Here)
- iOS 11 & Swift 4 – The Complete iOS App Development Bootcamp (View Here)
- The Complete Android N Developer Course:Learn Android App Development with Android 7 (View Here)
- C# Basics for Beginners: Learn C# Fundamentals by Coding (View Here)
- Unreal Engine 4: The Complete Beginner’s Course-Learn Video Game Development (View Here)
- Learn to Code by Making Games – Complete C# Unity Developer Course (View Here)
- Ultimate Web Designer & Developer Course: Build 23 Projects | Become a Full-Stack Developer (View Here)
- Taming Big Data with Apache Spark and Python – Hands On! (View Here)
- Modern React with Redux: Master the fundamentals of React and Redux (View Here)
- Practical Data Structures & Algorithms in Java + HW : (View Here)
- The Complete SQL Bootcamp : Become an expert at SQL! (View Here)
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect 2017 by Ryan Kroonenburg (View here)
- An Entire MBA in one Course by Prof. Chris Haroun (View here)
- Build 21 iOS Apps with this course by Rob Percival (View here)
- Learn Linux in 5 Days and Level Up Your Career by Jason Cannon (View here)
- Learn Arduino Step by Step: Your complete guide (View here)
- The Web Developer Bootcamp, The only course you need to learn web development (View here)
- Complete Guide to Build IOT Things from Scratch to Market (View here)
- C++: From Beginner to Expert Designed for people who don’t have any knowledge about the programming (View here)
2. Coursera: One of the widely known platforms for online courses. You can choose a variety of subjects to choose from. Others would be Udacity, Edx etc.
While Coursera does not published data on how many students are taking each course, I compiled this list of the most popular courses on Coursera by looking at each course’s search ranking on Google and the related activity on Twitter and Facebook.
3. In terms of competitions, Google Code Jam ,Google APAC, Facebook Hacker Cup,Microsoft Imagine Cup , ACM ICPC, Codechef SnackDown.
Since you’re switching sectors, its highly vital that you upgrade your skills and be in sync with the trending market. The product based industry is a very fast industry with very stiff competition and adapting to the new technology trends is what keeps these companies up in the race hence they expect their employees.
To Learn Programming Online with Udemy Best Selling Courses-Click Here
Some of the courses I personally recommend for you to learn are;
- Artificial Intelligence A-Z™: Learn How To Build An AI
- Build Your Own First Person Shooter / Survival Game in Unity
- Learn Swift with Bob: The intermediate Swift course
Below are all my recommended courses and they are created by experts in their technology area.
Udemy Bestseller Courses
- AWS Certified Solution Architect
- Ethical Hacking – Beginner to Advanced
- Job Hunting Guide
- Career Hacking
- Excel – zero to hero
- Digital Marketing
- Earn Money Blogging
- Machine Learning – Python, R in Data Science
- WordPress Theme Development with Bootstrap
- The Complete Web Developer Course 2.0
- Learn AngularJS
- HTML5 and CSS3
- Complete Python Bootcamp
- Java Complete Developer Course
- Making Games in C# – Unity Developer
- The Complete Java 8 Developer Course
- Learn Java SE 8 & Prepare for the OCA Java Programmer Exam – Good for OCA Certification
- Master Object Oriented Design in Java – Homework + Solutions
Java & Java EE
- Advanced Java Programming
- Servlets and JSPs Tutorial
- Introduction to Data Structures & Algorithms in Java
- Java Web Services
- Java Persistence: Hibernate and JPA Fundamentals
- SDLC with SOA Spring Java JMS GIT ActiveMQ MongoDB Jenkins – Single Most Recommended Course
- Spring Tutorials (Beginners) – Best Course for Spring Begineers
- Learn Spring Boot – Rapid Spring Application Development
- Spring MVC For Beginners : Build Java Web App in 25 Steps – Best for Spring MVC Complete Knowledge
- Building An E-Commerce Store Using Java Spring Framework –
- AWS Certified Developer – AWS is HOT, add it to your resume, good for beginners.
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect – AWS advanced course
- Certified WhiteHat Hacker Level 1 ( CWHH Level 1) – Great course for anyone in programming
- Ethical Hacking from Scratch to Advanced Technique – advanced techniques
- Learn Devops: Continuously Deliver Better Software
- The Docker for DevOps course: From development to production
- Mastering Ansible – future of parallel deployment, highly recommended, hot demand in market for Ansible skill.
- Beginning Scala Programming – for those who asked for Scala courses.
- Learn To Build Scala Apps From Scratch – for advanced Scala programming
- The Best Software Testing Training You Will Ever Get – A nice course, highly recommended for QA guys.
- Selenium Webdriver with Java Basics+Advanced+Interview Guide
- JUnit and Mockito Crash Course – Java Testing Framework Course
- Learn Linux in 5 Days and Level Up Your Career – working on Linux, then you can get this.
- Learn Linux Administration and Supercharge Your Career – for system admin
- Python Step by Step: Build a Data Analysis Program
- Learning Python for Data Analysis and Visualization
- Complete Python Bootcamp
NodeJS & Angular 2
- Learn Nodejs by building 12 projects
- Angular 2 and NodeJS – The Practical Guide to MEAN Stack 2.0 – Amazing Course
- The Complete Android & Java Developer Course – Build 21 Apps
- Master Android 7 App Development – Latest Android Studio Version
- The Complete Web Developer Course 2.0 – Great Upgraded Course
- The Complete Bootstrap Masterclass Course – Build 4 Projects
- Bootstrap 4: Exploring New Features
- Git Complete: The definitive, step-by-step guide to Git – anybody want to go into deep details of Git.
Happy Learning !!Preparing for Off Campus Jobs or College Placement drives? Click Here to Join Campus Jobs Premium Course which contains 700+ Video lessons, 200+ Programming Questions & 10,000+ Practice Questions
Click Here to Download Previous Year Placement Exam Questions Papers for TCS, Infosys, Wipro, Cognizant and more along with detailed solution.